Thursday 25 November 2010

How to stay optimistic when returning from paradise: A Guide



You may be surprised to know that the title relates to no specific story, and will not relate to a thought provoking entry on world peace. Nor am I on an incredibly high dose of anti-depressants (The only current medication for me is the odd hypo-allergenic capsule to combat my an intolerance to biological washing powder). No No. For this entry is purely egotistical and does nothing but update you on my return to Oxford.
In short: I completed my last travel-blog entry the day I arrived home. At that point I was still basking in the attention for which a tan in winter-time attracts. I hadn’t forgotten the beauty of the sights but I was conscious that home had some benefits as well. After a weekend with the grandma, who seems to delight in watching me consume my own weight in Marks and Sparks, I returned to Oxford 10 pounds heavier and with at least one extra chin. The tan had faded but instead I had the November 5th fireworks to announce my arrival. As per usual, the middle to upper-class presentation was over priced and pathetic, and it was at this point where I realised how incredibly dull a quaint British town becomes when it’s only source of colour starts turning brown and falling off its twig.
I had two things to accomplish on my return to the ‘ford. With trusty sleeping bag in hand I committed to spend the first few weeks in Oxford simply couch hopping to save some cash. I also took the time to call my previous employer up and beg for my job back. This was easier than expected and I ended up with nothing short of a promotion. So three weeks later I find myself leading a pretty simple life. I haven’t got a house yet, but I have tales from three weeks worth of sleeping on floors, couches, blow up mattresses, and even the odd bed. And I have my job, which often makes me giggle from nine to five, every day.
So, it is with much garrulous excitement that I introduce you to my new blog. It comes even with a new colour and a new background for those visual/spatial learners (I’m such an inclusive thinker). And on what a day to start blogging! So much happening! The riots (occupiedoxford.org) are in Oxford, I’m very behind at filling out my work spreadsheets, I have a surge of romantic interests, I hit minus £800 on my bank balance, I’ve left my friends and sacrificed living with them for the sake of getting to work 15 minutes quicker and to polish it all off I’m feeling rather poorly probably due to sleeping on a mat in a cold damp living room, covered only by a flimsy Primark sheet.
I can’t wait to also introduce you to some of the populace I have had the pleasure to meet since coming back. (Pseudonyms will hopefully do the work of covering my tracks). After-all, I couldn’t have a blog all about me when I am surrounded by such entertaining characters.
But I’ll leave all that for blog two, and the rest. 
Enjoy being part of my life.  



No comments:

Post a Comment