Saturday 5 February 2011

the small screen, the big screen

There is a period from the time I get into bed to the time I feel its already too late to get a good wholesome nights sleep. It’s called either YouTube Time! or IPlayer time! - depending on your taste. I am so diverse, I manage to do both- most nights. Just so you can keep up, the latest YouTube videos to make me laugh are Advice from a Cartoon Princess and A Sassy Gay Friend. Both go to prove that Americans can have a sense of humour. Surprises all around.
To illustrate the power of YouTube (and to show I am obviously not the only one taken in by that rectangular box) my friends ‘Daviglio’ upload home-made music videos about once a week. Last week, they found themselves at number 14 in the Italian Itunes Charts. Quite incredible. And I’m not even sure they knew they had any Italian fans!
BBC Iplayer on the other hand just saves me getting a television licence. Their comedy shows are getting a little dry as of late, but the documentaries (such as Planet Earth last night) never stop blowing me away.
I almost gave up on the Cinema, until last night when I saw ‘The King’s Speech’. Wonderful film, very plain, very ordered, very simple, very well acted. In short, I wasn’t bored once. I snuck a burrito in with me, and there was a point where I thought by eating it (as you obviously have to glance at your food every now and then to check its going into your mouth) I would be missing out. This, if nothing else, proves it was a good film.
There are some serious YouTubes out there as well. I posted one on my Facebook wall recently called ‘Transgender despair’. Very challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment